World Cup 2014: Roy Hodgson admits selection 'headaches'



World Cup 2014: Roy Hodgson admits selection 'headaches'

England boss Roy Hodgson says he has World Cup selection "headaches" after positive performances from his young players in the victory over Denmark.
Daniel Sturridge scored a late header to earn a 1-0 win at Wembley after he was set up by substitute Adam Lallana.
Raheem Sterling was named man of the match in England's last game before Hodgson names his World Cup squad.
"It means headaches for me but it's good news. I'm happy with their desire to get on that plane," said Hodgson.
"Raheem Sterling, Daniel Sturridge, Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, even Jack Wilshere, all of those came out of the game with credit."
Hodgson will name a 23-man squad and seven standby names on 13 May, before a friendly against Peru at Wembley on 30 May.


England then travel to Miami for a warm-weather training camp, where they will play Ecuador and Honduras, before flying to Brazil.
After England lost home friendlies to Chile and Germany last November, the victory over Denmark came after a laboured first half.
The hosts did not improve until after the inclusion of Southampton debutant Luke Shaw, club-mate Lallana and Manchester United forward Danny Welbeck.
Denmark coach Morten Olsen, whose side have not qualified for the World Cup, said: "I wish you good luck in the World Cup. You need it."
But Hodgson said: "If I was to say one thing I was most pleased with it would be the fact we put a lot of youngish players who haven't played a lot for England on the pitch, and they did a good job and improved their chances.
"You couldn't get me to say anything negative about any of the young players on today. At one stage we only had Gary Cahill, Joe Hart, Glen Johnson and Steven Gerrard who would consider themselves seniors.
"Over half of the players we have in this squad are under 23. We are looking in that direction, but I don't feel under obligation [to pick kids]. The younger players are doing well at the moment. Hopefully you will be impressed with their performances, and I'll have to make a decision going forward."
Midfielder Lallana, who won his third cap, said: "It was nice to get some minutes and the chance to impress the boss and more importantly to get the win after two defeats.
"I gave it my best and that's all I can do. It's not for me to judge how well I played. I will go back to my club and keep performing well and working hard and hopefully I will be involved in the squad at the end of the season."
Of his team-mate Shaw, the Saints skipper added: "It was quite remarkable how well he settled into life in the senior team. It looked like he had played for years, not weeks."

Powered by Blogger.
My Blogger TricksAll Blogger TricksTechtunes